CBC Toronto's Enterprise Unit obtained government progress reports through freedom-of-information law and featured End The Wait Ontario in its investigation.
In short
CBC News obtained government progress reports showing 91,974 children registered in the OAP
Only 22.5% of registered children have active core funding, the rest remain unfunded
Show all 4 factsShow fewer facts
CBC found that registrations kept rising while the share of children with funding stayed low
End The Wait Ontario and founder Spencer Carroll featured in the CBC investigation
Verified: 2026-08-10
Scope: Ontario, Canada
On the record
Independent reporting confirms the data families have long reported.
Attribution: This page summarizes coverage by CBC News published March 30, 2026, by reporters Nicole Brockbank and Angelina King of CBC Toronto's Enterprise Unit. Read the full article on CBC.ca.
0
Children registered in OAP
MCCSS FOI via OAC · May 2026
0
With active funding
MCCSS FOI via OAC · May 2026
77.5%
Unfunded
MCCSS FOI via OAC · May 2026
What CBC Found
CBC News reviewed Ontario Autism Program progress reports obtained through a freedom of information request. Reporters Nicole Brockbank and Angelina King found that registrations kept growing while access to core funding remained limited.
Registrations Kept Growing
Current program data shows 91,974 children registered as of May 2026. CBC reported that registrations rose throughout the records it reviewed.
Funded Numbers Actually Dipped
CBC found several reporting periods when the number of active funding agreements fell even as more children registered.
Only 22.5% Funded
Current program data shows 20,711 of 91,974 registered children have active funding agreements.
Families in the Story
As reported by Nicole Brockbank and Angelina King for CBC News on March 30, 2026, Deny registered her son, Nico, in the program. She told CBC that he was still waiting for core services funding when the article was published.
The same CBC report says Alina Cameron and her daughter, Fiona, also waited for funding. Cameron told CBC that receiving consistent core services later helped her family.
Early intervention is key.
End The Wait Ontario in the Story
CBC News featured End The Wait Ontario as a resource created by founder Spencer Carroll to bring together data and tools for parents navigating the system. CBC reported that his family has paid privately for services while waiting for government funding.
Only through accountability can we see whether or not these funds are being deployed responsibly.
Budget Context
CBC reported that the Ontario government announced new OAP funding in the 2026 budget, bringing annual funding to $965M. The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services said access to core clinical services had grown under the government.
Government Response (via CBC News)
The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services told CBC News that under their government the number of kids in core clinical services has tripled. The ministry also noted that foundational family services, urgent response services, caregiver mediated early years programs, and the entry to school program are accessible for all registered families.
According to the CBC News article, when CBC asked why there are periods where funded numbers decrease, the ministry's statement did not address the question about funding dips.
Cameron of the Ontario Autism Coalition responded that last year's increase did not move the needle on the core wait list, and called for the province to commit all new funding to families for core clinical services. She said the low share of registered children with access to core funding was troubling.
Published by CBC News, March 30, 2026, by Nicole Brockbank and Angelina King. CBC Toronto Enterprise Unit. Read the full article on CBC.ca
FOI Data Independently Confirms CBC's Findings
End The Wait Ontario has tracked OAP registration data using records obtained through Freedom of Information requests filed by the Ontario Autism Coalition (December 2025) and CBC News (January 2026). CBC's findings align with that data: 91,974 registered, 22.5% funded, and a growing gap between registrations and service delivery. Our Data Hub provides the full picture with interactive charts and FOI source documents.
March 31, 2026, Spencer Carroll interviewed live on CBC Radio One about his son's wait for autism services. Aired to Ottawa's political and public service audience.
Spencer Carroll's application to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario challenges the OAP waitlist as systemic disability discrimination under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The legal claims in Carroll v. Ontario (HRTO 2025-62264-I) involve specific individual circumstances and are distinct from the general advocacy positions expressed on this website. This case alleges that wait times during documented critical developmental windows may constitute discrimination under Ontario's Human Rights Code.
Take Action
Registrations keep rising while access remains limited.
91,974 children registered. 71,263 waiting for funding. 77.5% unfunded. CBC News found that the funded share remained low across the reports it reviewed.
Ontario Autism Program figures as of May 13, 2026 (MCCSS, released under Freedom of Information to the Ontario Autism Coalition; published in the OAC "OAP At A Glance" update, July 2026)Verified FAO Data
Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (Ontario), obtained by the Ontario Autism Coalition • Report • 2026-05-13
Citable source facts(3)Question-and-answer pairs with their source and verification link.
What did CBC News find about the Ontario autism waitlist in 2026?
Verified
CBC News reviewed 18 months of bi-weekly OAP progress reports obtained via FOI (Jun 2024 – Jan 2026). The latest verified figures show 91,974 children registered as of May 2026 with only 20,711 receiving funding — still under 25%. Registrations jumped 21% since mid-2024. In some periods, funded children decreased while hundreds more registered.
Source: CBC News Investigation, Mar 30, 2026 · Verify Link
Has End The Wait Ontario been featured in CBC News?
Verified
Yes. CBC News featured End The Wait Ontario and founder Spencer Carroll in a March 30, 2026 investigation into the Ontario autism waitlist. Carroll was quoted calling for greater transparency and accountability: "Only through accountability can we see whether or not these funds are being deployed responsibly." The article highlighted the site as a comprehensive resource for affected parents.
Are children losing Ontario autism funding while the waitlist grows?
Verified
CBC's FOI data revealed that in at least six bi-weekly reporting periods, the number of children with active funding agreements decreased even as registrations grew. In one summer 2025 period, 151 children lost funding while 456 new children registered in the same two weeks. The Ontario Autism Coalition attributes this to children aging out faster than new enrollments are processed.
Source: CBC News FOI Investigation, Mar 30, 2026 · Verify Link
WHO recommends accessible, community-based early interventions for children with autism — timely evidence-based psychosocial interventions improve communication and social engagement